In the spirit of this competition, these are gravity powered karts and bikes, not skate boards, trikes or anything other than a small race car without an engine. You should consider these real race cars and bikes so plan the safety gear accordingly.
We will be trying to keep the speeds below 60 mph for safety reasons, occasionally karts or bikes may break out and go
faster. We will keep speeds down, not by kart regulation, but by racing
on hills that are less steep. We feel these speeds are plenty fast for these karts and bikes.
Safety is the key, like any other sport involving speed, you could die doing this, so don't take any chances.
No drinking booze during or before races. Afterwards is fine as long as you share.
Remember, anyone can join and anyone can be booted if you don't follow the rules.
Mandatory DOT or SNELL or equivalent rated helmet required. (Full Face highly recommended)
- Explanation - No bicycle or skate helmets, it must be a motorcycle or race car type helmet. No egg shell style motorcycle helmets. You can find helmets used and inexpensive on Craigslist & Goodwill, for as cheap as $10, or new at Wal-Mart in the automotive section for around $50.
- Mandatory orange flag on a 6 ft. pole must be mounted on the car so the flag is visible to non racers.
- Optional reflective tape and or flashing red bicycle lights are highly recommended.
Open cockpit vs closed cockpit karts
(Karts hard to get out of.)
- Must have a solid steel Roll Bar or Roll Cage.
- Some sort of automotive style seat belts. 4 or 5 point racing harness is preferred. You can buy used ones cheaply on eBay. NOTE: if you do roll, let go of the steering wheel, cross your arms on your chest and grab the shoulder straps of your belt. Enjoy the ride.
Mandatory safety gear -
- Neck collars
- Arm restraints
- Safety Belts, 4 or 5 point Highly Recommended. (see above)
- Long pants
- Race Car or Motorcycle Helmet, Full face helmets Highly Recommended. (see above)
- Closed toe shoes
Mandatory DOT or SNELL certified full face
Mandatory heavy jeans or leather pants
Mandatory heavy shoes or
Mandatory long sleeve leather jacket, if not leather then it must be some material that is abrasion resistant.
Mandatory heavy gloves
of some kind.
Full leather abrasion suit and elbow and knee pads are highly recommended.